Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Flying Buzz

 I grew up part of the time in central Texas and buzzards didn't get very good press or much respect there. I've grown fond of them here in the country of the California  coast though. They are such great gliders and who else would clean up the dead ones on the ground? A week ago before the Caspar breakfast and my book sale as I was unloading books at the Community center I spotted these guys on the fence at the back of the property drying their wings on the fence after the heavy rains of the day and night before. There were actually about  a dozen of them coming and
going. An interesting aspect of the scene was a flock of about 20 plus starlings that seemed to be hanging out with them. They came and went as the buzzards came and went. I haven't a clue as to what this means but noted it.
 This was taken last fall as I was taking a walk with my daughter and grandkids down in Sonoma county. A group of about 5 vultures were flying about low to the ground. I never did see what they were after. I just pointed the camera up and shot hoping to get an image.
A little later we spotted several of the group sitting in trees and on housetops adjacent to the trail on which we were traveling. This guy was really giving me the eye. I tried to tell him that I thought my time hadn't really come yet but he seemed sceptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment