Saturday, May 26, 2018

Red Shouldered Hawk in Caspar

As I drive along Highway One on the Mendocino Coast, going north from Caspar to Ft. Bragg I often see a small hawk sitting on a power line to the west of the road. I've been seeing this for probably over 10 years. It's either the same hawk or others just like it. It's almost always in exactly the same place. I have thought for years about stopping on the other side of the highway and trying to get a picture of it. Well, I just acquired a new toy, a small Canon camera with a 40X optical zoom. Like my old one but with 3 times the zoom power. It's pretty far out.
Yesterday as I was driving this route I saw it and I immediately pulled over to the side of the road, rolled down my window and took a number of shots at maximum zoom. This is the one I liked best. I looked it up on the internet to find out that it was a red shouldered hawk. It's somewhat smaller than the red tailed hawks we see here also. Feasts mostly on small mammals. I'm glad that I was able to get a good shot and identify it and be able to see the details of its feathers and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment